How to hire freelancers
In the 21st century, no business can flourish without a digital presence. While social media marketing is one aspect of establishing yourself on the internet, another effective way is to create your own website. And, most businesses prefer to hire freelancers for this job.
Let us see why it is beneficial to hire a freelancer to help you with creating a website.
Benefits of having your own website are numerous. The Stanford Web Credibility Project has established that web designs have a strong impact on the subconscious of the viewers which directly affects their trust in the business. Nearly half of the respondents to the study said that they look at the overall design of the website before they decide to put their trust in it.
The Nielsen Norman Group defines the relationship between trust and design as an aesthetic-usability effect which, in a nutshell, states that consumers have a habit of inclining towards products that seem more attractive. And, according to the 2019 Edelman Trust Barometer Special Report, brand trust is at par with quality and value for convincing consumers to make a purchase decision.
Now that the importance of your professional website is established, it is generally recommended to hire freelancers to help you with the graphics and design nuances. But how do you go about doing that?
Here is a brief guide on how you can employ freelancers to make your website a smashing success!
Knowing exactly what you need
- Before you hire a freelance web designer, it is crucial for you to be crystal clear with your expectations from the project. This will let you take charge of any interview you may have with prospective designers and will let you choose a more compatible designer who can understand your idea.
Prepare a budget
- Building websites can often cost more than you can predict. But the key is to be prepared. You can get a fair idea of the market rates to hire freelancers from freelancing websites and directly from people who have engaged in the services of a web designer before.
Ask around for recommendations
- The biggest advantage of employing a web designer recommended by someone you know is that they are tried and tested. The chances of things going south then get reduced considerably.
Finding web designers online
- The most common and easy way to hire a web designer is through a freelancer’s portal. The method is usually the same for all such portals. You can post your job, wait for applications, assess, and then shortlist potential designers. After this, you can either hire directly or ask for a test run to see how well you can work together. Some of the best websites to hire the best talent are Upwork, Fiverr, Toptal, PeoplePerHour, Freelancer, and Guru.
Judging the potential web designers before hiring
- Through the various freelancers’ websites stated above, you will see that there are thousands of web designers for you to hire from. But, how do you judge who is better for you? Following are some pointers that can help you in making your decision.
- Check their qualifications and see if they match your expectations. These will include their graphic designing skills, web designing skills, and coding skills.
- Check their soft skills to know how compatible you can be. Do they respond in time? Do they communicate well? Are they good at problem-solving? How are their work ethics and interpersonal skills?
- Take a close look at their previous projects. This can give you an insight into what they can deliver for you.
- Check their references. Sometimes references can be a deal-breaker when choosing to hire freelancers. References can throw light on their personal relations and capabilities to make meaningful connections.
- Discuss your ideas and exchange your thoughts on the projects to get a better vision of how it will be if you work together.
- Customer ratings can speak volumes about a designer and help you in making your decision. Customer ratings on freelancing portals are pretty unbiased.
You need a web designer who can understand exactly what you want and deliver the same with efficiency. Your aim should be to look for someone with professional compatibility with you and the ability to understand your thinking.
Looking to start a freelance career in Dubai, UAE as a website developer? Freedom2Work is your one-stop-shop for all things freelancing. Get in touch with us to apply for a freelance license and a residence visa.
Address: 213, Vakson Commercial Building, Umm Al Sheif, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, UAE
Phone number: 800-FREEDOM (373 3366)
Frequently asked questions
1. What are soft skills employers look for in their potential hires?
Here are top soft skills that all freelancers must possess in order to be hired by the best employers
- Leadership skills
- Quick decision making
- Problem-solving skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adapt to new projects
2. Where is the best place to hire freelancers for any job?
Here are the best websites to hire freelancers for any job online
3. How much does it cost to hire a freelancer to build a website?
- A freelance web designer can typically charge between 45 and 65 dollars. Depending on your requirements and expectations of the website, you can negotiate the rates.
4. What skills should a web designer possess?
Here are key skills that all web designers must possess
- Imaginative thinking
- A knack for detail
- Technical abilities
5. What are the advantages for companies to hire freelancers for certain tasks?
Here is why companies are preferring freelancers over full-time workers
- Flexibility and expertise
- Fewer management risks
- Less expensive to harness talent globally
- High quality of work
- Fewer supervision costs