Animation is an ever-evolving art. It has the power to captivate its audience of all ages. The boom in animation technology has opened numerous avenues for freelance animators to launch their careers.
Freelance animators have the opportunity to maintain a work-life balance and choose the projects they wish to work on. There is no pressure of a 9 to 5 job and you can set up your own schedule.
Wondering how to kickstart your animator career? Here is everything you need to know to start your freelance career as a digital animator.
Enhance your skills
If you are new to the field of animation, there are probably some aspects that you may be lagging behind in. Identify your weak spots. Is it the lip-syncing or the eye lines? Or is it the color contrast or composting?
Whatever it may be, before taking on new gigs, you must work upon your skills and even acquire new knacks of animation. Focus on making small animations related to the skills you want to work upon. Instead of taking them all at once, consider working on one struggling point at a time.
Take up an online course or workshop
There are various online animation schools that can make becoming a freelance animator easy and affordable. You can check out the following:
- Animation Mentor: They not only connect you with professionals from the industry but also help you to create a formidable demo reel.
- Inanimate: They organize live online classes and workshops for movie and gaming animations.
- Animschool: Animschool gives you chance to learn from instructors who work with big names such as Disney, Pixar, and DreamWorks.
- CGTrain: This is one of the best to learn 3D animation, characters, and VFX.
- Blender Animation Course: This is an online 37 video lesson plan where you can learn interface, setting up a scene, animating shots, and render settings.
- Animsquad: They offer online workshops that help you to fine-tune your skills of animation and teach you how to bag projects with big names of the industry.
The importance of your network
Networking can be exhausting, but its importance cannot be ignored by a freelancer. Your network is your best chance to bag new projects.
If you are completely new in the field, the first step is to stay in continuous touch with your college mates. The next step is to attend networking events such as conferences and seminars. No freelance animator can go solo. Here is a short guide to building your network like a pro.
Harness the power of social media
Your brand, as an animator, is a key element in boosting your freelance career. An animator is an artist first and there is no better platform than social media for an artist to build their brand.
Apart from the usual Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, as an illustrator, a freelance animator should definitely brand themselves on Pinterest, a website heavy on the image.
Create a striking portfolio/demo reel
For any freelancer, the portfolio is the ultimate deal-breaker. If you are sending a gig request to a complete stranger, it is your demo reel that will help seal the final deal.
One way to do this is to set up your own website and keep it up to date with your new projects and work. A professional and exquisite website coupled with just enough aesthetics can certainly attract clients.
Ensure that the best of your abilities are highlighted and it shows you as the expert you are.
Now that you have a portfolio in place and your social media is up and running, it is time to put the word out for services.
- The first step is to post on your social media and let your inner circle know about your services.
- Second, you can also apply for work through freelance websites such as Fiverr, Upwork, PeoplePerHour, and Toptal.
- The third is to directly send your applications to organizations and offer to negotiate the terms of services.
- The common point to be careful of is to keep following up with your client. This allows them to build trust in you.
An animator is known for her creativity and imagination. To become a successful freelance animator, it is important for you to stay up to date with the popular trends and keep up with pop culture. Don’t forget to keep inspiring yourself to create the art that will amaze you.
Looking to start a freelance career as an animator in Dubai, UAE? Freedom2Work is your one-stop-shop for all things freelancing. Get in touch with us to apply for a freelance license and a residence visa.
Address: 213, Vakson Commercial Building, Umm Al Sheif, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, UAE
Phone number: 800-FREEDOM (373 3366)
Frequently asked questions
1. How do I find an animator for hire?
Here are top platforms being used by companies to hire freelance animators
2. How much does a freelance animator make?
- Depending on variables such as the nature of work, your experience as an animator, and the company you work for, as a freelance animator, you can charge between $20 to $70 on an hourly basis.
3. What skills should an animator have?
Here are the key skills every animator must possess
- Ability to tell a story
- Talent for art
- Ability to understand the needs of clients
- Knack for details
4. What are the 5 types of animation?
The 5 types of animation are:
- Stop motion
- Motion graphics
5. Where can I animate for free?
Here are some easy to use free animation software
CommentsYou need to Log In to post comments..