H1 tag: A brief overview
Wondering what an H1 tag is? Why is the h1 tag considered so important in Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, today? Read along to find answers to all your questions with respect to the H1 header.
All businesses, small and large, rely heavily on digital marketing today. In today’s world, digital marketing and advertising is the answer to increasing market share. Every industry and sector is using digital media to gather an audience and grow as a business.
But how do they do this?
One of the most effective tools used by all businesses alike is Search Engine Optimization or SEO. SEO is a game-changer in today’s digital world. Trends in SEO are ever-changing but some trends have been around a long time and are here to stay. One such never-ending trend in SEO is H1 tags.
What are headers? And what is the H1 header tag?
- An important element of SEO is the H1 header. The easiest way to understand headers is to think of them as tools by which certain words on a website can be made to stand out. Such headers are embedded in the HTML code. H1 header tag is like the heading or the main title of a web page, which is usually the largest text on the page. The other headers are H2, H3, H4, etc. which together form the content that you are right now reading on this webpage and others.
- To elaborate further, you can think of headers as the outline of your web page as follows:
- THE MAIN HEADING (H1)
- The Main Points (H2)
- The Sub-Points (H3)
- An H1 Head in HTML would look something like this: <h1> Hello, This Is Header One! </h1>
What makes the H1 tag so important?
- Being the highest level of heading tags, H1 specifically showcases what a particular webpage is about. Therefore, when a search engine has to rank your webpage, it often does so on the basis of the H1 tag. This automatically increases the importance of the H1 tag and makes it a crucial part of a webpage.
Why the H1 tag is important for Search Engine Optimization?
- A search engine’s task is to comprehend what a web page is about. This is done by using different signals from different web pages. One such way is to receive signals through the H1 tag. So, when keywords are used in the headers, they increase the chances of your web page being visible to the top results of a search engine.
How is the H1 tag different from other tags like H2, H3, H4, etc.?
- While each tag holds its own importance, an H1 tag is particularly important for search engine rankings and SEO. Other tags do not weigh as much in SEO and can rather be looked at as headings and sub-headings which are used to make the content more user-friendly and easy to read.
How to make the best use of the H1 tag?
- Following are some best practices that can be followed to make full use of the H1 tag.
- Stick to only 1 H1 tag on your webpage and change the others to H2 or H3.
- Keep the H1 tag on the top of the page, above all the other content.
- Make sure you use the most important keywords in the H1 header. This benefits your search engine rankings and helps in increasing website traffic.
- Avoid very long headings. The best practice is to stick to the limit of 20 to 70 characters for H1.
- Consider styling H1 differently from H1, H2, H3, etc.
- Add different H1s to each web page.
- Use large fonts for H1 headers to make them visible on your page. The idea is to make them noticeable.
The bottom line about making the right choice for H1s is to remember who you are creating the web page for. It is not for the search engine, it is for the users. And thus, your H1 tags must be user-friendly, easy to read, and relevant to the content of your page.
Now that you have read this short and simple explanation of the H1 tag, you can use H1s to harness the maximum potential out of SEO. H1 tags are extremely important to SEO and they can make or break your webpage’s traffic and rankings.
Looking to start a freelance career as a content writer in Dubai, UAE? Freedom2Work is your one-stop-shop for all things freelancing. Get in touch with us to apply for a freelance license and a residence visa.
Address: 213, Vakson Commercial Building, Umm Al Sheif, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, UAE
Phone number: 800-FREEDOM (373 3366)
Frequently asked questions
1. How many H1 tags should you have?
- Only one. Your website must have just one H1 tag and others should be H2, H3, H4, etc.
2. How do you write a good H1?
The following tips would be beneficial when writing a good H1:
- The H1 should describe your content
- It should be between 20 to 70 characters
- It should stand out from the rest of your content
- Try using long-tail keywords in H1
- Provide a good user experience with your H1
3. How do you write H1 text in HTML?
- Here is how to write an H1 Tag in HTML: <h1>This is heading 1</h1>
4. How can I change my H1 Tag?
Here are the steps to change the H1 tag on your webpage:
- From your URL, click on view and then source.
- On the new window displaying the HTML code, click on edit and then find
- Type <hi and click on find next
- The H1 tag will be highlighted
You can use the same steps for other H tags.
5. How important is the H1 tag for SEO?
- An H1 tag increases the accessibility of your webpage and helps in acquiring a higher ranking on search engines. SEO experts suggest a creative use of H1 tags to increase the traffic on your website.
CommentsYou need to Log In to post comments..