Freelance voice-over artists
We are surrounded by voice-over works all around us. Advertisements, video games, animation movies, and audiobooks are just a few examples of freelance voice-over artists doing an excellent job and earning a good paycheck too.
Do you also want to know how you can become a voice-over artist? In this article, we have broken down the steps to start your career as one in the simplest terms possible.
Who can become a voice-over artist?
The market has a demand for all types of voice-over artists. There are roles specific to gender, age, type of voice, accent, language, dialect, and many more factors. In a nutshell, there is something for everyone.
Can I get training to be better at the job?
Of course. Even the best of the voices can be made better by training for modulation, pronunciation, and breathing control. A voice coach can polish your speaking skills and give you some tips about the industry. A certificate of training also multiplies your chances to bag the better freelance voice-over jobs.
You can find a voice coach in your city or do an online course.
- Voice.com provides one-to-one sessions with voice coaches.
- Udemy has multiple courses for enhancing your skills as a voice artist.
- Skillshare provides a course on techniques for recording vocals.
- Coach With Kim is an excellent option to learn from the best in the industry.
There are both private and group coaching options. But, if you are an absolute beginner, you can check out the Beginner’s Guide to Working as a Voice Artists by Gravy for the Brain.
What equipment do I need to start taking up voice-over projects?
To become a freelance voice-over artist, you would require some equipment to get started. But it doesn’t have to be a professional studio with expensive soundproofing and fancy recording device. As a beginner, there are many ways to do this easily without emptying your pockets.
Find the quietest room in your house. If you have a basement, then you are golden. Even a closet is a great place to begin. To cancel the outside disturbances, use heavy blankets and comforters that can absorb all unnecessary sounds.
Next, you need a microphone that brings out the best of your voice. The best way to do this is to try before you buy. Microphones do not have to be expensive to be amazing. As a beginner, instead of investing a lot of money in a brand new set, consider getting a second-hand set.
This will allow you to upgrade easily in the future as your needs expand. Also, you would want to keep a safe distance from hand-held microphones. The amount of sound disturbance in that is painful!
Along with a microphone, choose a headphone that is comfortable and allows you to assess your voice and avoid mistakes and disturbances in recordings.
Lastly, you need recording software. Audacity is a great tool; it is free for use and allows you to edit and mix your recordings easily. You can also check out Edge Studio that provides a one-stop solution to basic voice-over needs and provides online tools like Word-to-Time Calculator, Script Library, and Rate Card.
Where can I find some voice-over gigs online?
Now that you are all set to step into the world of freelancers, it is time to create your profiles and start getting voice-over gigs. Fiverr, PeoplePerHour, and Upwork are some generic websites where you can find all types of freelancing gigs.
However, as a freelance voice-over artist, you can sign up at specific websites for voice acting like Voicecrafters. BunnyStudio, Voice123, Voices.com, or SnapRecordings These websites are dedicated for voice-over artists to find top-notch opportunities.
How can I increase my chances of getting gigs?
To become a successful voice-over artist and get some handsome gigs requires dedication and devotion to the work. Be sure to create multiple voice demos and submit them for auditions and gigs time and again.
You can also consider making a website portfolio to showcase your talent and work. You can also associate with NGOs and pro-bono institutes to build your resume. Volunteer work increases your goodwill in the market and earns you appreciation from your clients.
On the one hand, being a freelancer gives your flexibility of working hours and choice of projects, but the work of a voice-over artist is nothing short of entrepreneurship in itself. The bottom line is to keep moving forward and trying new things to make yourself known and established.
Frequently asked questions
1. What degree would you need to be a voice actor?
- Becoming a voice-over artist does not require any formal degree. However, one can always polish their skills through training and online courses.
2. What skills do you need to be a voice actor?
A voice actor requires the following skills
- Confidence in your voice
- Modulation techniques
- Ability to show emotions in your voice
3. Can Voice actors work from home?
- Yes. In fact, most voice actors work from home using their own recording studio and gear.
4. Are voice actors in demand?
- The demand for voice actors is steadily rising for the past decade. This is because our reliance on digital media has risen exponentially. Every business wants voice-over artists for creating audios such as commercials, product guides, and podcasts.
5. How can I get paid for my voice?
- The easiest way to get paid for voice is to become a voice-over artist and take up freelancing gis on websites such as Voices.com.
CommentsYou need to Log In to post comments..