"Happiness is not a matter of intensity but balance, order, rhythm, and harmony."
- Thomas Merton
This quote highlights the importance of finding balance in our lives, including our work and personal lives, to achieve happiness. Juggling a career and family life can be challenging for anyone, but being a mom adds an extra layer of responsibility and can be particularly demanding. It is important to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all solution to a career-life balance. Hence, what works for one person being a mom and working full-time, may not work for another. Finding a career-life balance that works for you may take some trial and error, but with patience, perseverance, and a willingness to adapt, it is possible to achieve a fulfilling and balanced life as a mom.
Struggles of being a mom and working full-time
Working mothers often face challenges that complicate their career and family responsibilities. Here is some everyday working mom struggles that one may encounter:
1. Time management: Finding enough time to complete tasks can be difficult, especially when work and family commitments collide.
2. Childcare: Finding reliable and affordable childcare can be a significant obstacle for working mothers. Many working mothers must balance their work schedules with their children's school schedules, extracurricular activities, and other obligations.
3. Guilt: Many working mothers feel guilty about not spending enough time with their children or being unable to attend all their events.
4. Career-life balance: How to balance work and family can be a significant challenge, and many working mothers struggle to find time for self-care and relaxation.
5. Career advancement: Some working mothers may face discrimination or bias in the workplace, which can limit their opportunities for career advancement.
6. Mental and physical health: Juggling work and family responsibilities can be stressful. Some working mothers may struggle with mental health issues like anxiety and depression or physical health issues like chronic stress and fatigue.
Working mom tips to handle the grind
Here are ten tips and techniques that may help you balance your career and life as a mom:
1. Set clear boundaries: Establish clear boundaries between your work and personal life. Create a schedule that includes designated times for work, family time, and self-care.
2. Prioritize tasks: Prioritize your tasks by focusing on the most important ones. It will help you manage your time and reduce stress.
3. Delegate responsibilities: Delegate tasks to family members, friends, or hired help when possible. It can help lighten your workload and reduce stress.
4. Practice self-care: Make time for self-care activities like exercise, meditation, or hobbies. Taking care of yourself can help you feel refreshed and energized.
5. Be flexible: While juggling between work and life, you should be willing to adjust your schedule when unexpected events or emergencies arise. It can help reduce stress and maintain a sense of balance.
6. Communicate with your employer: Communicate with your employer about your family responsibilities and needs. Discuss flexible work arrangements or remote work options if possible. If you are a freelancer, fix flexible deadlines and communicate them with the clients in advance.
7. Build a support network: Build a support network of family members, friends, or other parents who can offer help or advice.
8. Simplify your life: By minimizing clutter, reducing commitments, and focusing on what is most important.
9. Take breaks: Take regular breaks throughout the day to rest and recharge for juggling between responsibilities further. Even short breaks can help you stay focused and productive.
10. Let go of guilt: Let go of guilt and focus on the positives. Remember that you are doing your best to balance your career and family responsibilities, which is something to be proud of.
Remember that balancing work and motherhood is an ongoing process. Juggling between work and family to establish a career-life balance as a mother can be challenging. Still, it is essential to remember that you can achieve your goals and balance your responsibilities. You have the skills, determination, and resilience to succeed in both areas of your life. Remember to care for yourself, set clear boundaries, and prioritize your tasks. With patience, perseverance, and a positive attitude, you can successfully juggle your career and family responsibilities and lead a fulfilling and balanced life.