Freelance online tutor: Essential things to consider
If you are looking to earn a side income, freelance online tutoring may be the best answer to your quest to find a side hustle.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic hit us and most of our lives moved online, online tutoring has become the most comfortable option for both students and teachers. As a freelance online tutor, you can find students to teach from anywhere in the world because there is no restriction on distance.
Here is everything you need to know to before you become a freelance online teacher in any part of the world:
Set aside time for the job
- Before you start taking up teaching gigs, be sure to set aside a good amount of time for both preparation and the actual teaching. This will help you to streamline your day and make online tutoring a smooth part of your daily work.
Brush up on your communication skills
- A tutor’s job is to help students understand various concepts. This requires good communication skills and an understanding of how the student’s brain works.
- The best way to do this is to have a few practice classes with someone you know, like a younger sibling, or your neighbor’s kid, and see how well you are able to make them understand something.
Pick your subjects
- You can have more than one subject matter that you may be good at. The important thing here is to have a good command of whatever you decide.
Have a demo ready
- Since there are a plethora of options for freelance online tutors available, students generally will look for a demo class where they can see if they are comfortable with your language, pronunciations, methods, and aid. Your aim should be to convince them that you can teach even the toughest of the topics flawlessly.
Create your resume
- Your resume should include what languages you are comfortable with, your qualifications, and your experience, and it must highlight your empathy as a freelance tutor.
Pick a medium
- With a number of online platforms available, you must choose the one that allows you to be interactive with your students and makes you feel comfortable when using it.
Make your website
- Having a website can take your career in freelance online tutoring to the next level. You can post your demo lectures there, have interactive workshops with students, conduct seminars, write informative blogs, and post teaching materials as well.
- Having a website will make you see that online teaching and tutoring jobs are not just to teach but also to be interactive with students and engage in various activities to keep up their charms in the student circles.
Now that you are ready to teach, let us see different ways in which you can do this.
- You can take one-on-one lessons online.
- You can take group classes online through platforms like Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
- You can make a course and sell it on platforms such as Udemy, edX, Skillshare, and Coursera.
- You can upload your content on streaming platforms like YouTube.
Here are some online platforms that can help you kickstart your freelance online tutoring.
- UpWork, Freelancer, Fiverr, Guru, and Toptal are all freelancing websites where you can post your profile and students can directly contact you if they need tutoring in your subject.
- You must ensure that your profile stands out of the crowd to be chosen by the students. Use a professional photograph and highlight your qualifications and experience to get more gigs through these marketplaces.
- TutorMe is a website for teachers which provides flexible teaching hours, and here you can earn up to $16 an hour from anywhere in the world.
- If you are looking to become a freelance online tutor in India, check out Vedantu which has an earning potential of a minimum of 25,000 INR a month with just 4 hours of work per day. It also provides full-time work and opportunities for content creation and course modulation.
- Check out Preply to get online teaching opportunities where you can set your own hourly rates.
- Classgap is another similar website where you can apply to become a tutor and earn good money.
Freelance online tutoring does not require much investment. All you need is a good internet connection and knowledge that you can impart. It is a great opportunity to encash on skills you have honed.
If you are looking to kickstart your career as a freelance online tutor, Freedom2Work can help provide a stepping stone to making your freelancing dreams come true. Our experts at Freedom2Work help you apply for a freelance license and even a residence visa. Get in touch with us through the following details today!
Address: 213, Vakson Commercial Building, Umm Al Sheif, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, UAE
Phone number: 800-FREEDOM (373 3366)
Frequently asked questions
1. How much money does an online tutor make?
- An online tutor can earn anywhere between 20 to 40 dollars per hour. The final rate depends on your subjects, qualifications, and experience.
2. What qualities should a good tutor have?
Here are some crucial qualities that a tutor must possess
- Adaptability and flexibility to adapt to the needs of the students
- Communication skills to make the students understand everything
- Empathy to understand the students
- Openness and accessibility for students to reach out
- Humility and acceptance
- Ability to motivate and inspire the students
- Good listening capabilities
3. How do I make my resume for an online teaching job?
Here are some important pointers for making a resume for an online teaching job
- Name and personal details
- Educational qualifications
- Work experience
- Other skills that are relevant to the job
4. How do you prepare for an online demo for a tutoring job?
Here is how you can prepare for an online demo lecture
- Practice a lot
- Make a lesson plan that can be shared with the audience
- Outline the objective of the lesson before you begin
- Choose a topic that you know extremely well
- Leave time for a Q&A session
5. Do I need qualifications to be an online tutor?
- Though not necessary for a freelance job, having a formal qualification can significantly increase your popularity and pay. You can check out online courses provided by Coursera, edX, and Skillshare to get a formal certificate easily from home.
6. Can anyone become an online tutor?
- Yes. Teaching jobs are available throughout the world and anyone can become an online tutor regardless of their age. What a freelance online tutor ultimately needs is expertise on the subject matter.