SEO writing: How to be a better SEO writer
Search Engine Optimisation, or SEO writing, is one of the most certain ways to ensure a compelling online presence of your website. It comprises a number of steps one can take to rank better on search engines, such as Google. And, as Jennifer Grappone and Gradiva Couzin say in their book Search Engine Optimisation: An Hour a Day, SEO is no rocket science.
Although it can be difficult, creating SEO-friendly copies is never impossible. So, if you are looking for solutions to how to be a better SEO writer, then you have come to the right place.
Why is SEO writing important?
As per a study published in 2019, after analyzing over 5 million Google searches, it was found that the first result is 10 times more likely to be clicked on as compared to the 10th result. The study also suggested that SEO writers should focus on getting ranked in the top 3 results which account for 75% of all clicks.
How does SEO writing work?
SEO writing is a method of developing the content of your website in a manner that appears high up on search engine results pages so that your targeted traffic can reach your web pages efficiently. To understand how optimizing your content, as an SEO writer, helps you get better rankings, let us see how the most popular global search engine---Google---ranks searches for its users.
The algorithm used by Google is called PageRank (PR) which measures the importance of web pages by allotting them a number between 0 to 10 where 10 is the best and the rarest ranking.
This ranking depends on a number of factors. Here are some of the factors listed by Google:
- Meaning of your query
- Relevance of webpages
- Quality of content
- Usability of the webpage
- Context and settings
Following these tips can help you work towards becoming a better SEO writer.
5 tips to improve content writing skills
Using the right keywords
- The first step towards optimizing your content through SEO writing is knowing the right keywords that will connect your content to your readers. Keywords are words and phrases that your potential consumers are searching for as they try to find their way to your website.
- A word of caution is to not cram too many on the webpage which can summon annoyance from both customers and search engines. Thus, do not be sparing but do be thoughtful with keywords in your SEO writing.
Backlinking for better rankings
- Backlinks are links from other websites that are referred to in your content. They are also called inbound links by SEO experts who have laid heavy emphasis on the importance of backlinks in determining the popularity of a webpage.
- Just like keywords, it is not the quantity but the quality of your backlinks that will make your rankings better. SEO writers must be wary that backlinks should be sources of reliable information for your website visitors. Moreover, the links should be safe and not cause any harm or violation when clicked.
Make your content SEO friendly
- The contents on your webpage must be structured and organized in a manner that is easy to read and comprehend. SEO writing experts suggest using proper headlines and paragraphs to keep the readers engaged.
- Shorter sentences and content that is free of grammatical errors are more likely to be picked by search engines to appear on top of the results.
- HTML defines headers as <H1>, <H2>, <H3>, and so on. For SEO writers, it is crucial to include the right keywords in the headings in blogs and articles, which should then be tagged in these headers to improve rankings.
- For example: When an important keyword is tagged H1, the search engine knows that this is what the webpage is about. H1 is commonly used for the main heading, to differentiate it from other headings.
- You can read more about the H1 Tag here.
Getting featured on Google Snippets
- Have you seen those little boxes with information relevant to your search on top of the results? That is Google giving you what information you need as succinctly as possible. But do you know how Google selects these snippets?
- Google identifies the words used in the search results from your webpage and selects a piece of information around these words to be displayed. For SEO writers, it is important to categorize the keywords that may be selected by Google.
The key to success in SEO is staying updated with the latest trends in optimization. The best practices in SEO writing are constantly evolving and it can help your business to utilize the power of the Internet in the best way.
If you are looking to kickstart your career as a freelance content writer, Freedom2Work can help provide a gateway to helping your dreams become a reality. Our experts at Freedom2Work help you apply for a freelance license as well as a residence visa in Dubai, UAE. Get in touch with us through the following details today!
Address: 213, Vakson Commercial Building, Umm Al Sheif, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, UAE
Phone number: 800-FREEDOM (373 3366)
Frequently asked questions
1. What is SEO?
- SEO stands for Search Engine Optimisation which is a way of optimizing the content on your website to rank it better in search results.
2. How do I learn SEO?
Here is how you can easily learn SEO:
- Know why SEO is important for your website
- Identify the goals you wish to achieve with SEO
- Focus on the right keywords
- Start back-linking
- Keep up with the recent SEO trends
3. Is SEO difficult to learn?
- SEO is not very difficult to learn. With a little time and effort, you can learn the different concepts of SEO. Start by utilizing online resources that provide in-depth information on SEO.
4. What skills are needed for learning SEO?
- No special skills are required to learn SEO. However, skills like critical thinking, analytical skills, and dedication can help you learn the concepts better and faster.
5. Can I learn SEO without coding?
- Yes. SEO does not require coding expertise. There are plugins and tools that can be utilized to implement SEO without coding.
6. How much does SEO cost?
- SEO can cost somewhere between $700 to $2000 a month, depending upon the website, content, nature of business, and end goal of implementing SEO.